If you use Facebook ads, at some point you may have asked yourself if (and how) you can track the performance of your ads in regards to website visitors. Perhaps you’ve wondered if it’s possible to leverage those visitors to bolster your social media strategy.
You’re in luck! Facebook offers a unique solution to track website visitors that originate from ads you create on their platform. It’s called a Facebook pixel.
What is a Facebook Pixel?
According to Facebook’s “About Facebook Pixel” page, the Facebook pixel is an analytics tool that allows you to measure the effectiveness of your advertising by understanding the actions people take on your website.
Pixel data can be used to:
- Make sure your ads are being shown to the right people
- Build advertising audiences
- Unlock additional Facebook advertising tools
- Track conversions
How Do I Get a Facebook Pixel?
If you have a company website, you’re halfway there! Follow these simple steps to create your pixel:
- Go to your pixel tab in your company’s Facebook Ads Manager
- Click “Create a Pixel”
- Click “Create” in the box that appears on the next screen
How Do I Set Up My Facebook Pixel?
Set up the Facebook pixel by placing pixel code on the header of your website. You can either do it yourself or send instructions to your website developer. If you are able to update the code on your website, you can follow these simple steps to add your pixel to your website:
- Locate the header code for your website
- Copy the entire code and paste it in the header of your website
- Paste the code at the bottom of the header section, just above the closing head tag.
- Check that your code’s working correctly
- Click “Send Test Traffic” in Facebook after placing the code on your website to make sure your pixel’s working properly. If your status says “Active”, your base code has been installed correctly. Please note, it can take several minutes for your pixel to update.
Now, when someone visits your website and takes an action, the Facebook pixel is triggered and reports this action. This way, you’ll know when a customer takes an action, and will be able to reach that customer again through future Facebook ads.
If someone else edits your website’s code, you follow the following steps to send them the code and instructions for adding the code to your website:
- Go to the Pixels tab in Ads Manager
- Click “Set Up Pixel”
- Click “Email Instructions to a Developer”
- Enter the recipient’s email address
- Click “Send” at the bottom of the page!
Your website developer will then be able to follow simple instructions to add the pixel to your website.
If you’d like to read Facebook’s support page for pixels, you can find that here. They have a LOT of great information out there to help you get started!
Why Do I Need A Pixel?
We touched on this briefly in the first portion of our blog, but we at Aspen Grove Marketing wanted to give you a bit more detail about why you might need or want a Facebook pixel.
Pixels make advertising on Facebook much more effective. Not only will you know who you’re advertising to, you will also have a better understanding of how your ads are performing. Long story short, you can craft your messaging much more effectively, leading to a better return on your advertising dollars.
If you would like help improving, managing, and maximizing your social media accounts, including setting up a Facebook pixel, please contact your Northern Colorado digital marketing specialists at Aspen Grove Marketing. We have helped businesses big and small with digital ad strategy and online advertising to meet their goals and succeed online. We’d love to do the same for your business.
Stay tuned for our upcoming “How Do I Use My Facebook Pixel” blog! We will discuss creating custom audiences, conversion tracking and remarketing based on the data collected by your pixel.