Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to the practice of making your website as search-friendly as possible for big search engines such as Google and Bing. In this day and age, the ability to be found on search engines is becoming more and more important for businesses. Your rank refers to how close to the top of the list your website appears in a search. The better your rank, the better optimized your website is. One way to do this is through blog optimization.
There are many things that go into the success of your SEO efforts, but a big area search engines use to rank your site is through your blog. While many companies have begun to blog, most are missing low-hanging apples by not practicing good blog optimization. Blog optimization is crucial for great SEO, use these tips to effectively optimize your posts:
- Learn the Basics! Read our handy Search Engine Optimization Basics blog that designed help you understand the intricate lingo of SEO. It will help you better understand this and other information related to search engine optimization.
- Do your research! Before you even begin blogging, research your keywords – or the words and phrases your customers are using to find websites like yours – using tools such as Google Adwords’ Keyword Planner or SEMrush to determine what words and phrases you should cover in your blog. Build a content calendar or some other list to help you keep track of what keywords you’ve covered. Ideally, your blog will have a least one post about every major keyword for your business. After you’ve done that, you can go back and cover the keywords from different angles.
- Use your Keywords! Now that you have a good idea of what keywords are most important for your business, be sure to use them in your blogs. Include them in the title, first and last paragraphs, and in the alt text of your images. Please note: Google and other search engines do notice if you keyword-stuff, or use the keyword an inordinate amount of times, make sure it flows and your text still makes sense while using the keywords.
- Add Alt-Text to your Images! In order to get the most mileage out of your blog, make sure you optimize your photos as well. Include alt-text that provides a brief description of the image and ideally includes your keyword. The file name of the image should not be some random number chain, but rather your keyword or at the very least, your company name.
- Optimize Your URL! Depending on how your website functions, you should be able to update the URL of your new blog post. This link should be short, concise, and related to the keyword you’re writing about rather than a long garbled link that makes no sense to users or Google.
- Link to Other Experts! When blogging, you don’t want to have ton of links that will lead people away from your site, but it is good blogging practice to include a few links to other websites with quality information or to reference someone. Link building is an important piece of SEO success, by linking to others, you might even get a link back which will help your site.
- Update Your Snippet! The snippet is that short description often shown in the Google results. Be sure to update this with your keyword and a catchy reason why someone should click.
- Use an SEO Tool! Depending on how your site is built, you should be able to install a plugin such as Yoast or All in One SEO that will help you determine if your blog is fully optimized and what to do if not.
- Blog Often! It’s not enough to blog once a year. Websites need to be frequently updated to improve your search engine rank; one good way to do so is to blog frequently.
- Ask for Help! If this sounded like a foreign language, Aspen Grove Marketing can help make sure your blogs and the rest of your site is optimized to make sure you’re ranking on search engines.
Need help with website or blog optimization? Contact us! We’d be happy to provide SEO consultation or manage your website’s search engine optimization efforts.